From: Jayathirth D V
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2016 7:21 PM
To: Philip Race; 2d-dev
Subject: Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [9] RFR JDK-8162461: Hang due to JNI up-call made
whilst holding JNI critical lock.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for pointing me to  sun_jpeg_output_message().

We need to make up calls from sun_jpeg_output_message()  as it is needed if
user has added IIOReadWarningListener.
In imageioJPEG.c we are overriding IJG output_message() of jerror.c with our
own  sun_jpeg_output_message().

Call from IJG library can reach output_message() through two functions in
jerror.c :
        1) error_exit()
        2) emit_message()

We are overriding error_exit() also with sun_jpeg_error_exit() where we are not
calling output_message(), so sun_jpeg_output_message() can be reached only
through emit_message() .

emit_message() always takes j_common_ptr as argument and not j_compress_ptr or
j_decompress_ptr. But I noticed that before calling emit_message() we are
always type casting j_compress_ptr or j_decompress_ptr to j_common_ptr and
passing it as argument to emit_message().

Since cinfo-> is_decompressor tells us whether it is read or write operation we
can cast j_common_ptr to j_compress_ptr or j_decompress_ptr. Based on this I am
creating jpeg_source_mgr or jpeg_destination_mgr object. Using this we can call
RELEASE/GET_ARRAYS in sun_jpeg_output_message().

Please find updated webrev for review:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jdv/8162461/webrev.01/

Parallel to this I tried using two separate functions like
sun_jpeg_reader_output_message(j_decompress_ptr)  and
sun_jpeg_writer_output_message(j_compress_ptr). But then we need to replicate
error_exit() and emit_message() also to accept j_decompress_ptr and
j_compress_ptr. It needs lot of changes at many places where we are using
error_exit() and emit_message() in IJG library.

Thanks,
Jay