> Yes, we are aware this fixed it only for Oracle JDK.
> The bit I missed is that GeezaProInterface was then used on OpenJDK by
JRS.
> So we could add that as well.
> If you have any other fonts you think should be added to the tail of that
list we
> can add them too.

I ran JRSFontCreateFallbackFontForCharacters against all Unicode code
points with Menlo-Italic as base font,
and got 63 possible fallback fonts - vs 29 present in cascade list,
currently used by JDK 9 (given in JDK-8147002).
So the mismatch is quite large. But the interesting thing is that cascade
list returned by
CTFontCopyDefaultCascadeListForLanguages still covers that whole Unicode
range. The problem is that JDK
doesn't use that list fully. In particular, Arabic alef letter U+0627 can
be displayed using the font
.NotoSansUniversal from that list. This font doesn't get into composite
font, as it's not found among the fonts
known to Java. So a better fix (and still quite small) will probably be
using those 'hidden' fonts as part of
cascade composites - by creating a new, 'local' CFont instance if lookup in
the known font list fails
(this, btw, seems to work fine for us). If even this is considered risky
for JDK 9, then probably adding
.NotoSansUniversal with or instead of .GeezaProInterface as a hardcoded
component makes sense.

Best regards,
Dmitry Batrak