Hi Phil,

On 9/19/2017 3:16 AM, Phil Race wrote:
Hi,

On 09/04/2017 03:07 AM, Prasanta Sadhukhan wrote:
Hi Prahalad, Phil,

JDK uses DocumentProperties function [1] to query the printer configuration data in windows.

For a RIcoh printer which we (in IDC) use by default, pDevMode->dmFields is initialized to 0x200ff0f, which corresponds to DM_MEDIATYPE  | DM_DUPLEX   | DM_YRESOLUTION   | DM_TTOPTION | DM_COLLATE  | DM_COPIES  | DM_DEFAULTSOURCE  | DM_PRINTQUALITY | DM_COLOR  | DM_PAPERWIDTH  | DM_PAPERLENGTH | DM_PAPERSIZE  | DM_ORIENTATION

But, for, Brother printer, pDevMode->dmFields is initialized to 0x1930f which corresponds to DM_FORMNAME  | DM_DUPLEX   | DM_COLLATE | DM_COPIES  | DM_DEFAULTSOURCE  | DM_PAPERWIDTH  | DM_PAPERLENGTH | DM_PAPERSIZE | DM_ORIENTATION
so there is no DM_YRESOLUTION and DM_PRINTQUALITY in dmFields,
so even though YRESOLUTION and PRINTQUALITY is populated by :DocumentProperties API, the corresponding indices are not set, resulting in having "GETDEFAULT_ERROR" [-50] in the array for those indices.

Very odd. It sounds like a driver bug and I'm surprised that the Microsoft HWQL tests don't catch it. Was the driver directly from Brother ?
Yes, I took the driver from http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=hl2240d_all&os=93

Perhaps someone considered those fields so mandatory
that you don't even need to check that they are set ?

This case reminds me of the fishy settings for a different bug reviewed here : http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/2d-dev/2016-June/007011.html so ... I suppose this might be OK but still ..

I have modified my fix to populate the yresolution and printquality indices even though dmFields are not set by :DocumeProperties, provided those fields are not 0.

Actually the code says you are doing that only if as they are GREATER than zero .. not just different than zero.

So here
919 if (pDevMode->dmFields & DM_PRINTQUALITY || pDevMode->dmPrintQuality > 0) { If quality is used by a driver but it forget to set the mask bit then you will still ignore it. Perhaps you want != 0 ?
Yes, right. I actually overlooked the spec which says

*dmPrintQuality*

   Specifies the printer resolution. There are four predefined
   device-independent values:

   *DMRES_HIGH*
   *DMRES_MEDIUM*
   *DMRES_LOW*
   *DMRES_DRAFT*

   If a positive value is specified, it specifies the number of dots
   per inch (DPI) and is therefore device dependent

and as per wingdi.h, these values are -ve. I have updated the fix to use !=0.

I have retained defaulting to low 300 dpi resolution as there might be a case when AwtPrintControl::getDevmode() fails resulting in returning default values which is -50.

Are you referring to the code in Win32PrintService.java ?
I'm not sure about doing that. The way I read your code is now if a driver specifies dmQuality as negative and leaves yRes at zero (meaning ignore it) .. you now no longer ignore it and return a new PrinterResolution
for a made up (300,300) resolution.

Ok, right. I looked at the spec and saw what you are saying

*dmYResolution*

   Specifies the y-resolution, in dots per inch, of the printer. If the
   printer initializes this member, the *dmPrintQuality* member
   specifies the x-resolution

which means, if dmPrintQuality is initialized +ve for x resolution, the y-resolution is specified by dmYResolution. Or in reverse way, if dmPrintQuality is -ve, then there might not be any need of specifying dmYResolution.

I have updated the webrev to cater to both changes

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psadhukhan/8186987/webrev.02/

Regards
Prasanta

Also, in linux, we do the similar http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk10/client/jdk/file/70359afda5d0/src/java.desktop/unix/classes/sun/print/IPPPrintService.java#l1565

What we do in Linux (for Postscript) is different as postscript allows you to specify the DPI for your content
and the interpreter must handle that.

-phil.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psadhukhan/8186987/webrev.01/

Regards
Prasanta
[1] [https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd183576(v=vs.85).aspx]
On 9/4/2017 8:28 AM, Prahalad Kumar Narayanan wrote
Hello Prasanta

Thanks for the explanation.
Being new to the Printing subsystem, it helped get the context of the problem.

As I understand, the problem is due to getDefaultPrinterSetings() returning negative values for defYRes and quality. And the fix evades such negative values with a hardcoded low 300 DPI resolution.

I 'm suspecting the bug to be in the code that returns values for default printer settings . Since these values are device specific, I believe, the code might use few platform APIs to query the resolutions on that printer device & return the same.
. It's here that default resolutions are not retrieved properly.
. So my view is to trace this location & fix the population of default printer settings than a hardcoded DPI resolution.      . When a problem has surfaced on one printer, there is possibility for the same to occur on many devices as well.      . Besides printers may not be supporting low 300 DPI resolution going forward.

I may be wrong in my understanding. You could wait for other's review & follow up.

Thank you
Have a good day

Prahalad N.