The review for the original fix was actually on awt-dev which probably was correct
and so this should be there too.
I hadn't seen the thread so had to go read it .. but it was so long ago I'd
probably have had to re-read it anyway. But it was not so easy to find
since it did not have the bug ID in the subject !
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/awt-dev/2016-March/010742.html
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/awt-dev/2016-April/010996.html
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/awt-dev/2016-May/011370.html

Since it is changed, yes, being able to point to this review thread is likely
something the 8u-dev maintainers would ask you for.

It looks OK to me although I don't grok why the order here in 8u

302 if (isXCompositeDisplay(awt_display, adata->awt_visInfo.screen) &&
303 hasXCompositeOverlayExtension(awt_display))

is reversed from what you had in 9 : 309 if (hasXCompositeOverlayExtension(awt_display) && 310 isXCompositeDisplay(awt_display, adata->awt_visInfo.screen)) which looks more logical to me.

-phil.