I confess to not being 100% sure which one you thing is in some way "unexpected".

I *think* you are complaining only about the large size rendering of cambria in 3.png
BEFORE the fix and that it is equally blurry with or without the fix.

I don't have my usual tools handy to check but that can be as simple as Cambria
at 48 pixels is unhinted, so turning off hinting makes no difference.

But then no difference is not exactly what people usually mean when they
saying there is a regression  ... so I may be misunderstanding you.

BTW only 1.png shows JDK version so its not clear what was used to render each case.

-phil.