On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 14:58:14 GMT, Alan Bateman <al...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> This PR is not stale; it's just still waiting for input from @AlanBateman.
>
> @magicus Can the CharacterDataXXX.template files move to
> src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang?

@AlanBateman When I moved the charset templates, I found this gold nugget:

# Copy two Java files that need no preprocessing.
$(SUPPORT_OUTPUTDIR)/gensrc/java.base/java/lang/%.java:
$(CHARACTERDATA_TEMPLATES)/%.java.template
        $(call LogInfo, Generating $(@F))
        $(call install-file)

GENSRC_CHARACTERDATA +=
$(SUPPORT_OUTPUTDIR)/gensrc/java.base/java/lang/CharacterDataUndefined.java \
    $(SUPPORT_OUTPUTDIR)/gensrc/java.base/java/lang/CharacterDataPrivateUse.java

What this means is that we have two "template" files that are just compiled as
java files, but only after being copied to gensrc. :-) That definitely needs
cleaning up, but this PR is large enough as it is, so I will not do it now.