Lil' Louis (Louis Sims) and "Little" Louie (Louie Vega)
are two different men.  Sims is from Chicago and is
best known for French Kiss and a few other things. French
Kiss is a May and Mills fave, and, though I love what he
has recorded, he had a short history compared to Vega. And
where is Sims these days, by the way? Nothing visible like Vega, for sure.
Vega, a New Yorker, has a longer and much more prolific
history, and, though he gets props in the house community
for some of his work via MAW (less so these days), he is supremely *under*
appreciated. He was a seminal producer/remixer back in the
early freestyle/electro days, then moved into house music
first producing as Masters At Work with Kenny "Dope"
Gonzalez and Todd Terry. Terry did some solo work as
Masters At Work, but Gonzalez and Vega have worked
together (production and much remixing) since then under
the moniker keeping the name alive. The Gonzales/Vega MAW
are also responsible for material as Nu Yorican Soul (where
much live musicianship was used), bringing
people like Salsoul Orchestra's Vincent Montana Jr. back
into producing music again, helping raise the profile of talented
female vocalists like India (who was married to Vega for a short
time) and Barbara Tucker and many others on labels such
as Strictly Rhythm.  Hope this helps, Cyclone. PS While
I'm on the subject of underappreciated New Yorkers, the late
great David Cole should also be brought up. Though he did
very commercial material with Robert Clivilles as C and C
Music Factory right before his death, he was responsible for
much great music while he was alive. And in doing things like
sampling Unique 3's seminal bleep classic "The Theme" on remixes
for an artist such as NKOTB (New Kids On The Block) back
in the 80s, it was subtly obvious (an oxymoron, i know :))
that Cole truly *knew* what was "up". He was able to bridge
the commercial with the underground, much as Vega has been
doing and continues to do. Seeing "appreciated"
music "stars" like the
Cobains, Hutchences, etc, literally killing themselves (intentional
or otherwise) at a young age shows just how tragic Cole's
death at a young age (to an AIDS-related illness) was. Ditto for the late great
Chep Nunez
who was responsible for editing the majority of NY's seminal
dance music in the 80s and died young in a house fire.  Taking this trip down
memory lane
due to re-appreciating a lot of my favorites from the 80s in
the last few weeks as I pack and prepare to move. Thanks
for bringing up these good memories! Take care.
Andrew Duke :)

--
Cognition/Andrew Duke's In The Mix
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]