I have been chastised for misunderstanding the potential acquisition of
Sony or EMI by Bertelsmann.

Given that Sony annual revenues are about $60 billion and Bertelsmann
"only" about $15 billion you can see where I might make such a mistake.

Either way, the point I made still stands: many artists on Sony will
be dropped if the merger goes through.  Also, the usual pattern following
acquisitions and mergers is that the less prominent divisions like dance
music departments are often cut drastically.  I would expect Sony Music
to keep Jeff Mills after a merger, but many staff and artists would no
doubt be trimmed off the "dance music" roster.

Fred