In a message dated 2/23/00 1:34:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<
 could anybody give this beltran novice a bit of a career overview or perhaps
 point me to some decent interviews or a discog online? i dig the new indio
 album.....

 brian >>

John Beltran is a small-town Michigan producer
who first appeared with Open House on a 12"
for Carl Craig's legendary Retroactive imprint in
1991. He did two more 12"s with Open House
before falling off the radar for a few years before
reappearing with the stunning "Earth & Nightfall"
full-length on R&S. He then released the equally
amazing "Ten Days of Blue" full-length on Peacefrog
and under the guise Placid Angels (which sums up
his sound quite well) released one of the most acclaimed
aesthetic deep tech-house full-lengths ever, "The Cry"
also on Peacefrog. He then began to branch out in
much the same way as Carl Craig or Kirk "Detroitio"
did (towards jazz and fusion) with the "Moving Through
Here" disc on R&S and also on the Indio disc on the
Transmat label. Much like the response to both Planetary
Folklore and Programmed the hardcore fans (like me) of Beltran's
early sound generally appreciated the new releases but
found they lacked the emotional depth and the consistency
of his earlier stuff.

If you like Indio (not a bad record) I'll venture a guess that
any of his first three albums will just blow you out of the
water, especially "The Cry" which at one point I had on tape
in my car and listened to (no other full albums) for about
six months in a row.

There is a really good Beltran bio at the R&S site (much
better than most of the rest of their bios).

Matt