i'm with ya, sean. i get extremely pissed off when
i hear a song i like on the radio (whether commercial
or college or public) and they don't backannounce it.
from a personal perspective:
on the live radio show and the syndicated show announcing
every track played is imperative to me and always has
been (and that's why i won't
play a guest dj mix on the show unless the dj provides
a full artist/title/mix/label tracklisting, and when i have
an in-studio guest dj on the live radio show i always get
him/her to talk about what they played and why), cos, like you said,
people can't buy a track they hear that they like if
they don't hear what it is! if a dj doing a mix show doesn't
bother announcing the tracks played, whether out of
"trying to be cool" or just plain ignorance, it does a major
diservice to the artists played and turns into a dj ego-fest
in that only the dj him/herself gets mentioned. 313: if you'd
like to read a rant (er, commentary) on this, there's one
called "dj obsession?" on cognition: http://techno.ca/cognition
andrew duke :)