Pietro wrote:
My first exposure to Mind Over Rhythm was through their amazing >12" single on Rumble Records called "The Crossing" (years ago). >Does anyone know what Mind Over Rhythm have been up to these >days, and if they released anything else along the lines of "The >Crossing"?

I understand they did a collaboration with Plaid. Can someone
comment on this? I noticed it was listed at CDNOW.

'Mind Over Rhythm meets the men from Plaid on the Planet Luv'
4 x 10"  Rumble Records LP001 (1995).

1a  'Blast Off (original version)' - Mind Over Rhythm
1aa  'Kiss the Sky' - Plaid
2a  'Orange Sky' - Plaid
2aa  'Retro 7/Slingshot' - Mind Over Rhythm
3a  'Big Warm Glow' - Mind Over Rhythm
3aa  'System Talk' - the Plaid/M.O.R alliance
4a  'Uncharted Territory' - Mind Over Rhythm
4aa  'Departure' - Mind Over Rhythm

The 2 Plaid tracks are essentially remixes/reworks of 'Blast Off', and are both outstanding examples (one breakbeat, one 4-on-the-floor) of the early Plaid sound. IMO 'System Talk' is the stand-out track on this release, a beautiful mid-tempo 4-o-t-floor techno track... working the Psyche/BFC/early-UK-IDM blue print for all it's worth!

The 5 Mind Over Rhythm tracks feature dub bass-lines, 4-o-t-floor rhythms and soft synth pads. 'Kiss the Sky' has female vocal samples. 'Retro7/Slingshot' has a fast trancey feel. 'Big Warm Glow' sounds like a Weatherall produced down-tempo One Dove track. 'Uncharted Territrory' goes deep with floating pads, and 'Departure' has a bleeping techno sound. All quite nice... but not in the league of the Plaid produced tracks.

FYI the sleeve lists A.C. Hill as the producer behind Mind Over Rhythm.

cheers
~Askew