Right. Drum and bass DJ 187 and I think ambient producer Terre Thaemlitz also identify as transgender.

Woman-born-women coming to mind: Heather Hart and Neotropic (Riz Maslan--sp?--or Fish Without Spine). Interesting that both of them have (or had) more well-known male partners. What's the thesis of this paper, by the way?

Sorry for the non-313 answers.

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Alien Disc Dealer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Subject: Re: (313) Women in electronic/disco/house/techno/dance music...
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 12:47:42 -0300

Just a quick note, in case you didn't know it:
Even though Wendy Carlos is a very important name in electronic music
history, she as born a man, Walter Carlos, and many years after releasing
works such as Hooked on Bach and The Clockwork Orange soundtrack had a sex
change operation, becoming Wendy Carlos.
If you can find an old copy of Hooked on Bach, you'll see that it's credited
to Walter Carlos, but the newer copies are credited to Wendy...
[]s
schild