Sorry if that email sounded like an attack, it wasn't :)

So does anyone know anything about Steve P??

-----Original Message-----
From: environ [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2000 2:10 PM
To: Oliver Barkovic
Cc: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: RE: (313) dbx - giving it to ya raw

>>>A must-have for DBX phreaks.  Fuck the tens of producers that stole Dan
>>>Bell's sound and check out the real deal.  Who gave a shit about the RZ1
>>>before him?
>
>Uhh... everyone in Chicago. A fellow by the name of Steve Poindextor
>especially.

Yes!  Maybe I should have clarified I meant besides Chicago, but I was
feeling overzealous as DBX was pumping out of my monitors at the time.  I
didn't feel the need to mention this as an element of DB's output seems to
be a reinterpretation or permutation of some of Chicago's source ideas
(most notably SD's "Losing Control") - and anyway, most of his records were
produced after a lot of Chicago's most memorable "track" output.  Another
example is how almost every genre of club music copied at least a part
Basic Channel's style even though Basic Channel was reinterpreting and
mutating dub.  To extend this example, I would have put on a BC record,
irrationally posted "who gave a shit about dark 7ths, near-subs and Space
Echo before BC?" and gotten "Uhh... Tubby. Scratch."

I'd say there is no argument about the worldwide RZ1 explosion happening
post-DBX, not post-Poindexter, right?  That's not a statement about either
producer - it's a statement about the world noticing, digesting and copying
a style.

Yawn!  The point was: go out and check out the new Accelerate double pack,
it's dope!  Work that.

        environ * 73 mandeville drive * wayne, NJ 07470-6566 * USA

          [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.webspan.net/~environ