It's pretty silly dividing dj's into European and American. There's good and bad in both. Granted, my favourite dj moments have been provided by Americans, but I've seen some excellent European performers: I just saw Herbert lay down a very solid set Saturday night.

I've seen Beyer twice and thought he was pretty good. He does what he does: hard techno. I'm sure if you asked he'd tell you he's been inspired by the usual Detroit suspects. It's really stupid to throw him in with the Eurotrance cheesemeisters.

And talking about Herbert, he put on a great live show before he dj'd. Hard to tell what he was doing exactly. He had Dani Siciliano on vocals, and someone (whose name I can't remember) on keyboards, and he was running back and forward between a whole lot of equipment, throwing live samples into one of three microphones then running back to his sampler and doing silly stuff with it. He was doing the same sought of thing with Dani's vocals. She would sing fairly straight into one of the microphones, get her voice sampled in another and then in the third I think Herbert was running her voice through a bunch of effects. It looked a little chaotic, but everything played smoothly. I think the backing drums were running off a DAT, because all the tracks were discrete, rock and roll style, with room for applause before the next kicked off.

Anyway, there's a European doing some innovative stuff.

Cheers

Rol