Jeff Richards wrote:

ok, i was just wondering what everbody thinks.  I have
been listening to some of the brittish acid techno
like dave the drummer, chris liberator, roland the
bastard (what a name, gotta love that guy), julian
liberator, etc, etc.  i have noticed some similarities
between it and trance.  a bouncy baseline, snare drum
rolls.  but it is still way too agressive to be
trance.  whats the deal?  am i the only one who
noticed it?  it don't matter though, i still like it.

Rowland the Bastard's "International Gonad" (Paradigm)
sounds to me like the stuff from IMPORTANT records back in '93, and that was what we called techno (TEKKNO). OK, it was "Acid" and "Techno", but we really never considered that hard 303 funk really as "Trance"... Back in those days true trance was dark and good, IT HAD BEATS!!! It was Hardfloor's "Acperience", Ongaku's "Mihon" etc... Not just going up up and up, but really something that when listened and danced long enough, it put you in a trance. Trance as a genre went downhills from '94 onwards.

I know what people think about trance at the moment, but in '94 even something like Phylyps trak on BC was played by trance/techno DJ's, AND IT WAS PERFECT TRANCE! Hard, hammer-like beats and metallic sounds really defined what a good trancy-techno could be.

It's the cheese-factor that puts most people away from current trance.

(check: www.satelliterecords.com and they have a listening booth with Rowland's tracks...)

Proffit