I had a similar situation: A guy I met just by accident told me that he'd been in Detroit studying sociology or something in the early 90's, and he for some reason got to meet some Detroit legends (don't know exactly who but he mentioned May) who gave him a big pile of vinyl, classic Detroit techno.

The funny thing is that this guy doesn't even listen, barely even knows what techno is! He hasn't opened those records, they still gather dust somewhere in his basement. And the best part is that he doesn't know their value either, so he would sell them all propably for $15....
I can only imagine there's original Retroactives, Transmats etc...

But the STUPID part is this: this guy's so LAZY, that he never ever bothers to look for them records. "They're somewhere, I have to look" he says, but he never does.

Just gotta keep bombin' him with my inquiries, maybe he eventually finds them and sells them for $10 just to get few beers.

Proffit

synthetic detronik wrote:

kind of funny story for you all.

once upon a time about 3 or 4 years ago i went to this little antique shop
on cass (dtown).  Well they sell all sorts of weird found things and pawned
off stuff.  They had this rack of vinyl, lots of old classics detroit soul
and what not.  after digging thru it a bit, i came across like 30 white
labels of Eddie Fowlkes, dont know how or why they got there but i bought
like 20 for $.25 each.  White labels and numbered... rare find.  Im not a
huge vinyl collector because im a starving musician/video artist, but this
was pretty cool, there were also other detroit techno classics as well as
some really unusual ones i never heard of some of which i bought just
because i liked the cover art.  some were kind of cheezy, but most of them
were pretty damn cool.

unfortunately, i believe most of them got lost in london when my partners
vinyl case got swiped, i dont know though.