I just posted this to the technocrat message board
regarding this article. Curious to know your
thoughts... I know this is a contentious issue, and
may have been discussed on 313 while I was off-list.
If so, please disregard. The article definitely offers
an interesting perspective from an established
musician.

What about vinyl? Vinyl is as strong, if not stronger
than ever in the dance music community, almost
entirely unaffected by mp3 due to limited pressings
and the need (or at least the preference if you're a
stickler) for vinyl to DJ well.

Vinyl should grow in popularity, if anything due to
increased opportunity to listen before purchasing.

But... I still think artists should have the
opportunity to decide if they want their music freely
distributed on the internet. This is why I've started
encoding my music in only low quality Real Audio until
it (hopefully) gets released. At that point, I may as
well encode in mp3, because anyone else could do it
anyway. My point is, I fail to see how Napster helps
unreleased artists make a living from their work,
although it clearly opens the door to new audiences,
taking some of the leg work out of promotion. I would
be interested to know how many, if any artists have
been offered record (ie vinyl pressing) deals for
underground dance music, exclusively based on Napster,
or mp3 site hype. My bet is that there would be very
few.
<<<<

Having just wrote this, I realize there are a gifted
few that can match a vinyl DJ with CDs, but there are
very few, and most respectable DJs won't use CDs
unless they can't find the tracks they're looking for
unless availbe on vinyl. I'm writing this little
disclaimer because I was quite impressed by Carl Meier
(sp?), and I found out @ DEMF that he spun on nothing
but CDs when he played in Iowa City. A very nice job
indeed. For the record, I started out spinning CDs,
and now almost never touch my Denons.

Tristan