Umar Bin Hassan of the Last Poets.  Hardcore history, folks, check them out.

From: "Roberto Ty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [313] Previous v Present turnouts in Detroit
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 09:12:15 -0400

I'm not exactly sure what the gentleman's name is (so I won't make a halfways attempt), but he read a couple of his poems with conga accompaniment (not sure about the musician's name either, but the conga guy was on various stages with people like Stacey Hale and Derrick May) on Monday. He also did a reading during May's set with a thumping beat rolling in the background. Pretty interesting if you were paying attention. I'm not sure the crowd necessarily was into it, but I definitely paid attention to the message. One poem was about "Niggers Afraid Revolution" or something like that. Reminiscent of Beat poetry.

Anyone have more details on this? He seemed to be well respected by Derrick, Carl, and others, calling him the "last true poet." I'll try and find out more.

>>> "Cyclone Wehner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - 06/02/00 10:33 AM >>>
like a
>soulful James Brown song during May's set or how about Curtis Mayfield on
>Deason's set, and not to mention the congas and poetry reading. All good.

Whoa. Poetry reading? Who had that? Over a DJ set??

Please tell!