Second: if you're used to Acid, either Logic or Cubase is going to seem
kind of hostile.  Neither does any kind of automagical tempo adjustment and
neither one has as friendly an interface.  Prepare for that.

That's fine because I'm "used" to an MPC2000 which doesn't do the handy tempo stuff, and has a HORRIBLE interface. Before that I used outboard modular gear. It's not really that I can't learn or am afraid to use to use a more involved program, I just don't want to spend that much time on the "learning curve." I'm really happy w/acid but want the additional freedom of dropping my own synth lines over the .wav, much in the way I used to with my MPC2000. That's it.

        However, once you get past that unfortunate learning curve, Logic is
great.  The screensets are powerful and fast to use, the MIDI environments
allow you to do amazing tricks once you learn how to use them, and the
sequencing is easily the tightest out there.

        I'm not that well-versed on the audio side because I use a sampler, but
every professional musician I know who does serious audio sequencing uses
Logic.  Most of these people are into either IDM digitial glitch stuff or
jungle - it seems like audio isn't as big a thing in 313-style music yet, where most people seem to use older outboard gear instead of computer-based digital
craziness.

        Basically, if you just want to do simple MIDI sequencing to outboard
gear and toss some waves over it, use whatever is easiest for you. But if you want serious next-level audio and MIDI wrangling, Logic Audio 4 on a G4 with
Hyperengine and a bunch of plugins is the hottest thing that exists.

        Joe Martin