Look, I am gonna humbly try to answer Dustin's question in the name of
closure and moving on. Dustin, I am hoping that by posting this you will
stick with your agreement and let us do this.

The reason why people have trouble defining 'techno' is that, while it has
become universal, it exists simultaneously in a specific cultural context.
Also it is not merely a form of music but rather one driven by an
intellectual, philosophical and spiritual impulse. What's more, somewhat
paradoxically, Detroit's techno auteurs - Juan, Derrick and Kevin - were
consciously making a music that resisted definition. This is why the
(American) mainstream cannot cope with it as the music is so radical that it
disrupts its rigid social codes. It is a truly underground music form.
Counter-cultural.

A lot of this music's power is intuitive; you feel it. Listen to your heart;
listen to your soul.

Once you understand the cultural context and circumstances that gave birth
to this wonderful music you will understand the distinction between 'techno'
and what we recognise as 'trance' and the aversion that many within this
music scene have to 'trance'.

There is nothing wrong with liking trance but at least then you will
understand why discussing it isn't appropriate here. It's a respect value
more than about taste.

It's deep and complex, and that is how it is meant to be, and I would feel
presumptuous in trying to explain it myself here but I will guide you to
where you can readily find this knowledge:

(1) Dan Sicko's book Techno Rebels explains the cultural context.

(2) Any interviews with techno's auteurs - especially Derrick May. Derrick
is a very articulate and intelligent and passionate individual and not
afraid to voice an opinion. If there is anyone who can really sum up the
impulse behind this music, it's him. Likewise Juan, he's the Godfather, also
Jeff Mills, and there are others. There are plenty of interviews on line and
there have been some good ones over the years in the international press,
too.

(3) Carefully read the posts of those from Detroit, those who went to the
Music Institute, etc - they are/were there, they know about the roots. They
are the source. The teachers.

Finally, some wise words from Jeff Mills: "Why some people think Techno
should be definite is a mystery. Perhaps they categorise for convenience.
One thing that Techno has brought, is that there is nothing wrong with not
understanding something. This I think is the origin of many of mankind's
problems."

This is not an answer, it's a guide.

Peace

Cyclone