cyclone wrote:
They're almost 2 grand Australian new - now the US dollar is about 60,
65 cents Australian, so you do the maths..... Plus we now have a new GST tax - extra 10%.

naw... a brand new Technics SL1200mk2 (inc. Stanton D500 cartridge) will cost you around A$1000... maybe a bit less if you bargain hard.

or... you can get an ex-hire SL1200mk2 (inc. cartridge) for about A$700... they have a bit of wear and tear, but they still have 12 months of factory warranty left (cos' hire companies like to turn them over pretty quickly).

or... about A$600 2nd hand... if you shop around a bit.

You can get those cheap home stereos at pawn shops but there's no
service or spare parts and the service/parts cost you. Hence I am
stuck with one that turns UR into..... instant Walt Disney records.
In fact the service for turntables sucks all round in this country.

Home stereo's w. built-in turntables do suck... but there are quite a
few places where you can pick up relatively cheap, 2nd hand stand-alone
turntables. Try to buy a late 70's/early 80's deck with features
similiar to the SL1200 (i.e. direct drive, removable head-shell that
lets you fit a variety of cartridges, manual cueing etc.), they're
easier to use and harder to break. Service for turntables is hard to
find... but it's out there.

cheers
~Askew

PS. I've got two spare decks in my wardrobe that I'll happily
sell/trade with you Cyclone.  :)