I'm sorry, I was going to keep quiet about this but I'm simply flabbergasted!!

I've been away for the past week on a short holiday and, deliberately, not been
near a computer
to check my mailbox.  I left the discussions with everyone raving about the
overall success of
the DEMF as well as offering constructive insights as to how improvements could
be made and how
certain performances were "better" than others in some very valid opinions.
Lots of excitement
and a general buzz around the D and where we're all heading with it.  (Big
cheers to Bill
VanLoo for a particularly excellent report!)

I return today to a load of...shite (frankly) about racism, trance,
gabber/hardcore and the
"death of Detroit"?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  I have now been on this list for quite
a while, but
only speak up when I'm really moved to say something...this is now:

Racism - never heard such shite in my life.  When I'm in a record shop I'm
focusing on the
sound of the record, the music, the funk.  I often have no idea who has made
the record, where
they come from or what they look like - it makes absolutely no difference!
Yes, I agree that
the most influential techno (and house) has come from black artists, but who
gives a fuck?
Let's just remember a certain techno producer's definition of techno as "like
Kraftwerk and
George Clinton stuck in an elevator...", that says it all for me...integration,
acceptance,
innovation - NO BARRIERS.

Gabber/Hardcore - Detroit music is not just about clubland.  Techno has always
had a wider
definition than other forms of "dance music" in my opinion.  Yes, it has its
basis and general
market on the dancefloor, but one of the reasons I am so passionate about
techno is that it is
transcends that environment...think Galaxy to Galaxy, Icon, just about all of
Songs of Food and
Revolutionary Art.  Unlike all this stupidly hard and fast hardcoresque stuff,
you don't need
to be pumped full of amphetamine (or worse) or any other drug to get it.  Music
affects a
person on many levels and dancing is a spontaneous expression of all those
emotions.  If the
"music" is only intended as a pulsating, hard as fuck, agressive kick-drum,
then that's all the
emotion you'll get.  Mr Dance Extasy (ha ha), I really am not in the business
of dissing people
and consider myself open minded about ALL forms of music, but you are simply a
sad, drugged-up
little boy and have no place to comment on music as you evidently don't
understand it, any of
it.

Trance - seems that ship is now sinking anyway.  Trance is just crap pop music
(in my opinion),
now in the hands of the corporates and trundled out to club ponses who go to
these
"super-clubs" to be seen and admired with the music as some insignificant
factor in the
precedings.  No soul, no funk, just one blue print track that everyone clones
to their own
String-pad preset (no. 1 usually) on the latest Korg trance machine, as they've
only owned for
1 week, after seeing Paul Van Dyk miming with one on Top of the Pops.

Death of Detroit music - Stagnant for the past 9 years, I'm not even going to
merit that kind
of blanket ignorance with a response...you all know.

As for our friend that doesn't seem to know the difference between trance and
techno; stop
whinging, open your ears, shut your mouth and you might learn.  The thing
that's so compelling
about real techno, I think, is that you can't define it.  There are no rules,
just innovation
and a relentless, creative search for new ideas.  It seems to me that techno
has taken
influences from all overthe world and styles right across the musical spectrum,
from jazz to
electro-acoustic to disco to classical/romantic to blues to funk and into
space.  That's
progressive, not a so-called "narrow-mindedness" just because we won't accept
trance or
whatever other lifeless musical form back into the equation.

Here's hoping this is the end of the madness, alas I fear not.

Peace and total repect to those that know, don't give it up.

Niall.