On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, photovore wrote:

> i want to add a sampler to my current set up..
> which sampler should i get?(i want to be able to loop
> the sample.. as well as play it backward)
> how should i hook it up? (i have record out and sends
> on my mixer)

        So you want a sampler primarily for DJ rather than studio use?  There
are a bunch of DJ-oriented samplers that are smaller and cheaper than big
monsters like the Emus or the Akai S6000.  I know that Boss/Roland makes one -
you should go down to your local DJ store and check out the selection.

        Another option would be to upgrade to a mixer with a sampler built
in.  Vestax makes one that's really pricey but amazing.  Pioneer makes one
that's probably pretty decent.

        Yet another way to go would be to explore guitar jam tools, like
looping delays.  There are a lot of digital delay pedals that have loop and
reverse features, and it's handy to have them in a stomp pedal interface.  The
Lexicon Jamman is another excellent tool along those lines.

        OB313: Anyone feeling Westbound records?  Now that's a strange old 313
label.  They put out such amazing music, but their buy-on-sight status was
seriously degraded for me when I got burned on one of their 7"s that turned out
to be a rock version of the national anthem...