Actually, pure water, as long as there is nothing in it, will not harm electronics. In theory. I still wouldn't put my 909 in a bucket, and that is what your friend suggested, as I understand it. Try compressed air. You can buy canned air at most photgraphy and electronic stores cheap (about $6 U.S.). It comes with a little mini cocktail-straw sized tube that can snake down into the sides of some knobs and sliders and blast out the offending dust particles. You could also take off the face of the 909 by unscrewing (carefully) the panel on the underside of the machine.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean out the knobs on a 909.
Is there any one that does it?  Some one told me to soak it in distilled
water, but that kinda scares me.

Thanks

Sevn