The distance traveled is greater but the time for one revolution remains
the same.

The same principle applies in audio cassettes where the tape travels at
differing speeds at diffferent point on the tape (due to more or less
tape on the winding reel) but it does not matter so long as this is the
same at playback as it was during record.

On a related note I saw a hexagonal record in a shop window the other day
which had haxagonal grooves!!