-----Original Message-----
From: JARED WILSON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; 313@hyperreal.org
<313@hyperreal.org>
Date: Thursday, July 20, 2000 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: [313] experimentation

>I still do not think that opening up a 606 and adding all of the retro fits
>and what not is experimenting.  And my main question is how can your
>sculptures or installations represent something else?  Thank you for taking
>the time to explain your work.  I look forward to your reply.

I don't think anyone would claim that hardware modification =
experimentation. Even if you modify your gear, it's still a matter of how
you manipulate the gear to produce your sound. However, newer sounds would
clearly be available with modifications on standard gear, and if you add
burning TVs and what not, that's a pretty unique display - and experimental
in that, to my knowledge, that sort of display has not been done in that way
before.

But... what's clearest to me is that he was trying to give an idea of his
technique/hardware to describe his sound/artistic vision, much like I would
say the new XXX has a phat 808.

Additionally, you have to take into account that many people use the word
"experimental" very loosely these days, to describe anything off the beaten
path.

And... I think your comments about not being able to create anything without
first having a conscious idea of your goal are a bit off-base. The thing I
love most about creating music is the absence of reflective consciousness,
and complete immersion in the act of creation. While, I do this with learned
technique, and what sounds good is learned through exposure to different
styles of music, I don't set out to make anything. As I start to make a
song, a context develops and I go from there, often destroying what I
started with and keeping the other two thirds. It doesn't start out with any
kind of a plan, although some techniques may carry over between tracks.
Almost every time I have sat down with a certain style in mind, the end
product ends up way different. I don't think this makes me experimental
though. I think my music sounds unique, but not far enough off the beaten
path that it's experimental.

Tristan
PHONOPSIA<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/5102