On Sat, 5 Aug 2000, crisk wrote:

> I need some recommendations for tribal techno records...
> Names and specific record recommendations will be great.

  I would suggest checking out releases on Oliver Ho's Meta label (all but
one of the eleven releases so far are by him, the one other is Max Duley's
Watch As We Now Drift), especially ``Prima Materia'' (M006 2x12"),
``Metaphysical'' (M008 12") and Ho's latest album, ``Listen To The Voice
Inside'' (METALP01 2xLP/CD). Other Meta releases are similar in style,
well crafted rhythm layers intertwined with cut-up and repetitive vocal
samples, giving the records really a distinct tribal feel.

  More of similar repetitive percussion and rhythm-based techno can be
found on Richard Polson's Surface label, with quite many releases by
Ho. James Ruskin (of Blueprint fame) has had his hands on some of the
Surface releases, as well as Polson himself and Claude Young.

  Check out the Meta and Surface discographies at ad.techno.org for more
clues, but most of the releases have been quite limited and could be hard
to find nowadays. I spent nearly two months earlier this year hunting down
just a few missing items from the Meta back catalogue, but it sure was
worth it.

  Some of Ben Sims's releases have a tribal feel to them as well, so
labels like Theory and Hardgroove could be good to check out if they
fit your needs. The latest Rue East/Ben Sims collaboration on Pure Plastic
(PP029) has some tribal elements (or at least from what I've understood
the concept of something being "tribal" to be).

  Cheers,
--
nuutti-iivari meriläinen   gordon at diversion dot org
http colon slash slash www dot diversion dot org slash