Time for me to chime in after digesting close to 300 messages.

First off, as previously mentioned, Nightime World Vol. 2 is definitely
doing it for me, and as Cyclone said not long ago, there certainly isn't a
pigeonhole you can fit all Detroit techno albums into. This gets to the
heart of the matter. Those releases we characterize as "albums" versus a
collection of tracks tend to be very diverse, or at least offer a good deal
of not-so-uptempo material. I think labels, artists and consumers all have
this in mind to a degree.

List some of the great Detroit techno artists' albums and you'll likely see
Landcruising, Silent Phase, both Nighttime Worlds, The Collective, and the
list goes on (hard to cite the ones that grace my collection now b/c they're
all packed up). Then there are other albums like Neil Olivera's Detroit
Escalator Company - Soundtrack 313 that couldn't possibly fit better into
the Detroit state of mind, if not including a single uptempo track. The
narrow definition of techno doesn't do justice to the distiction between
"ambience" and downtempo Detroit which properly occupy different spheres by
and large. Claude Young's Multiplicity of Zeros and Ones could as easilly be
classified as "ambient" by someone who doesn't listen to a lot of Detroit as
the trance guy at the local club referring to Basic Channel as trance.

Meanwhile detractors will claim Detroit has fallen off. Albums take more
focus, time and God knows they seem to take longer to actually hit the shelf
than the 12 inches do. So if maturing and mature Detroit artists take the
time to focus on an album and reduce their other output in the meantime, not
only does it decrease the number of "techno" tracks on the end product while
they flex their breadth of taste, it decreases the output and the number of
releases DJs are likely to pick up.

For as many people discounted or did not prefer the latest Model 500 album,
very few ever commented on the Aproximate Loveboat album Juan Atkins did
with Danny Zelonski on Plug Research. Albums will almost always be more of a
listening oriented experience. Focusing exclusively on dancefloor material
can be confining, especially for these techno dinosaurs. I think it's
appropriate to refer to these releases as techno, and it's crucial to pay
attention to the newer artists like Common Factor (not certain he's from
Detroit) who continue to push things in different directions to great
effect. There are many like him in Detroitm even if the majority of the
higher-speed output is house and elctro these days.

Tristan

np: The Sea and Cake - The Fawn (a recent discovery that is competing with
the new Yo La Tengo for a damn-near permanent spot in my disk changer)
PHONOPSIA<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/5102
"FrogboyMCI" on AOL Instant Messenger

New Album, "Québécois", online now.