hello,

I have been in the backdrop of this debate, so forgive me if this has been
brought up...

I have often considered what the impact is of going "above-ground", and I
keep coming to one conclusion with regards to techno and other forms of
dance electronica.  I find it hard to believe that it would be harmful to
commercialize and market something in which has no words or political/social
premise.  If a Paul Mac record became a top 40 hit, I would have no trouble
with this because the sounds in themselves are not in _any_ way corruted, it
is the top 40 listeners that are changing.  Before, in many art movements,
the thing that became tarnished by the mainstreaming process was its
message.  The 60's being an easy example to consider.  But the thing is, the
"social movement" aspect of us is already ruined by the "rave", the rave
capitolized and profited on the scene, the social premise is gone and the
music now is a household name, but is it ruined?

Simply put, I say we (the electronic generation) have the ability to bring
the mainstream to our level as opposed to our level becoming dulled by the
mainstream...

darw_n...

"create : demonstrate : toneshift"
www.mp3.com/darw_n