Thought this was pretty cool.  The news itself is not new, but it was nice
to see some nice quotes from Richie, articulating his thoughts on the
retrospective CD.

Here's the link:
http://www.sonicnet.com/news/story.jhtml?genreNameForDisplay=Dance%2FElectro
nic&genreDirectoryName=dance&id=1123320

Jason Birchmeier
----------------
Editor
All Music Guide
http://allmusic.com
734-887-5600x186
----------------

Techno Luminaries Richie Hawtin And John Acquaviva's Label Turns 10

Plus 8 Records plans series of classic tracks, U.S. tour.
Contributing Editor Corey Moss reports:

Richie Hawtin and John Acquaviva's Plus 8 Records, one of the most respected
techno labels of the last decade, will honor the past with a compilation
series, tour and concert event celebrating the imprint's 10-year
anniversary.

Plus 8 Classics, a three-CD series that will be released separately in
October and November, will feature pioneering techno artists such as
Holland's Speedy J (born Jochem Paap), Japan's Ken Ishii, Boston's Fred
Gianelli (a.k.a. the Kooky Scientist) and Detroit's Kenny Larkin and Dan
Bell, along with tracks by Hawtin and Acquaviva.

"I spend a lot of time working on new ideas and trying to push forward
artistically, which was also the main driving force behind Plus 8," Hawtin
said. "So when I started thinking of releasing a classics album set, I felt
a little apprehensive. But I realized that to work on new ideas and to push
forward artistically, you need to understand, or at least be aware of, the
building blocks and history of what you are involved in."

Hawtin and Acquaviva started Plus 8 in early 1990 out of the Detroit
basement where Acquaviva's father made fresh mozzarella cheese. Their goal
was to release their own singles — with Hawtin producing under the alias
Plastikman — and expand the boundaries of the relatively young music called
techno.

"When we started recording we thought we had already missed the boat and
that techno was just a fad to many people," Hawtin said. "Luckily this
didn't faze us, and we just went ahead with our plans, racked up [record-]
pressing charges and bills on John's credit card, and the rest is history."

Minimalistic Style

Throughout the decade, Plus 8 became known for its minimal aesthetic in
music and design. Its From Our Minds to Yours compilations, the first of
which was released in 1991, were revered worldwide.

"Plus 8 defined, for a lot of us, not only what the sound was, but a whole
set of experiences growing up," said Johnny O, manager of Detroit's seminal
Motor nightclub. "For those before us, there was the Music Institute, but
for us it was the Plus 8 parties, the Hard, Harder and Hardest parties. All
of the events they did were like the gateway for the next generation of this
scene."

Johnny O also said that staying influential for a decade was no small feat.

"Ten years is huge. It's a reference point to figure out how much this music
has been a part of people's lives."

Plus 8 Classics collects many of the label's classic tracks, along with a
number of rare and out-of-print singles, including Cybersonik's
"Technarchy," an early collaboration between Hawtin, Acquaviva and Bell;
Larkin's "Colony"; several cuts by Hawtin alias F.U.S.E., including
"Substance Abuse" and "Slac"; and a few Plastikman tracks, including
"Spastik" and "Krakpot."

"I thought it was the right time to document the first phase of Plus 8, not
only for the past or present-day techno supporters, but for the future
supporters and producers who didn't have the luxury of being around during
such an incredible time in techno history," Hawtin said.

Techno's Memory Lane

Hawtin and Acquaviva began compiling music for the series in 1998. It has
been a daunting task from the outset, Hawtin said.

"[I remember] sitting in my living room with all the original vinyl and just
going back down memory lane," he said. "It took another year of relistening,
thinking, talking to the artists, to friends and to peers in the techno
community about their favorites to really come up with a list of songs that
everyone was happy with."

To coincide with Plus 8 Classics, Hawtin and Acquaviva will launch a U.S.
tour Sept. 9 in Denver. Five dates have been confirmed, and several more
will be added.

"I don't think people really ever knew what to expect from the next Plus 8
release. Was it hard, soft, ambient, experimental? Was it music at all? A
T-shirt perhaps, a condom? Or even a print? We always wanted to keep people
guessing, to keep the anticipation there," Hawtin said. "I believe that's
what you can expect from the tour. It's been a long time since John and I
have done such a focused tour together, so who knows where that will take us
all musically."

Along with the Plus 8 tour, the label also will host the From Our Minds to
Yours party Oct. 28 in Detroit. Speedy J, the Kooky Scientist, Theorem (born
Dale Lawrence), Larkin, Bell, Richie's brother Matthew Hawtin and Clark
Warner will be among the performers, according to Hawtin's spokesperson.

Meanwhile, Hawtin has just re-released the first volume of From Within, a
rare three-album series of ambient music he recorded with prolific German
producer Pete Namlook. The second installment is due in October, with all
three released on Hawtin's Minus label.

Plus 8 Classics tour dates:

Sept. 9; Denver, Colo.; Skylab

Sept. 21; Boston, Mass.; Axis

Sept. 22; New York, N.Y.; Twilo

Sept. 23; Los Angeles, Calif.; Giant

Sept. 24; San Francisco, Calif.; Spundae