although i don't share some of his enthusiasms (eg. hardcore) i actually
don't mind simon reynolds' writing. i became a big fan when someone pointed
me to his brit-pop rant (it reminded me of a few brit-pop fans i knew) and
his best of worst of the year are usually fun to read - i think he (finally)
discovered a jeff mills dj set in the last instalment :)

i like his argument about modern commercial rock music, writing and fandom
being "ambient".

as for mocking his subjects - giving them a stir - isn't that what being a
writer and critic is partly about? sometimes the fires have to be stoked...

chris