Sam wrote:
What do u mean by "truly innovative".  I think that there is nothing
in between something that is innovative and something that is not.
Innovative is just making changes in anything established.  So i cant
see why Carl Craig isn't innovative, u just have to listen to
"Innerzone orchestra Programmed".

Emma wrote:
yeah i think i am splitting hairs on this one :)
On wot cyclone says about album and 12". I kinda think of an artist as
innoavative rather than tracks. but yeah bug in the bassbin

How about the Psyche/BFC material (Carl's take on the 'classic' Detroit sound... pushing the blueprint further with his own vision, production and songwriting), which was a major influence on early UK-IDM (ART, Likemind, B12, Otherworld etc).

Or the 69/Piece/IO material (that threw a whole heap of new ingredients into the Detroit mix), with it's influence being felt through the work of artists like Stasis, Dan Curtin, Recloose and most of the current Planet E roster.

Or the Designer Music/Paperclip People/Urban Culture releases (raw beats, filters, chopped up disco loops) which helped kick off the modern filter/loop-based sound of artists like KDJ and Daft Punk.

Or the techno jazz of 'More Songs...' and 'Programmed', that has opened the door for producers like Ian O'Brien, Kirk Degiorgio, Max Brennan and the whole West London sound.

Or running a quality on-going Detroit label, with regular output, that's able to showcase new & old talent... and continues to push the underground 'product' with a national/international focus. Even though most chain stores suck, at least Planet E releases are stocked in the same racks as Fatboy Slim, Britney, Puffy and Bon Jovi.

And then there's the DEMF...

So I think Carl probably deserves to get his 'innovator' t-shirt for free (and his custom-made green leather faux-Gucci 'innovator' Troop jacket for at least 10% off). :)

peace
~Askew