- Not sure if this was mentioned on the list yet?

The Ann Arbor DJ Music Colloquium

Featuring:
Grandmaster Flash    James Pennington    John Acquaviva    Kenny Larkin
Kurtis Blow    LTJ Bukem and MC Conrad

 Wednesday, September 27th: 6pm--11:30pm
     At the Michigan League Ballroom

$10 for UM Students / $20 for Public
Tickets go on sale Friday, September 15th at Noon, and are only
available
at the Michigan Union Ticket Office in the basement of the Michigan
Union.
Public tickets can also be charged by phone at 734-763-TKTS.

*Please note, this event has an extremely limited capacity of 500
participants, and so purchasing tickets as far in advance as possible is
highly recommended.

Sponsored by: UAC Soundstage, Michigan League Programming and the Mixed
Initiative.
"In the millenia that predated formal religion, music was the premier
expression of mankind's longing for a closeness to God." -Ravi Shankar

 DJ Music is a broad topic that not only describes many different
styles of music, but is also a vast part of what makes us a generation.
If it weren't for the DJ's influence on music, we wouldn't look the way
we
look, talk the way we talk, or be the way we are. Essentially, we are a
mixture of many influences, natural, technological, societal and
spiritual, and therefore, so is our music. However, as things progress,
our nature changes, old becomes new, future becomes past and our music
begins to take different forms.
 From John Cage's 1939 turntable experiments, to Kraftwerk's funky
electro riffs, to Lee Skratch Perry's initial mixing of reggae 45s, to
Grandmaster Flash's first scratches, to the construction of the first
post-disco dance anthems by Farley Jackmaster Funk, to the vertiginous
effects of Juan Atkins' techno masterpieces, all the way to the eventual
creation of the jungle sound by the Shut Up and Dance Crew, the shape of
electronic music and music as a whole has been one of perpetual change.
And as music changes, society itself becomes profoundly affected by the
transition, shifting accordingly. Therefore, music plays a role of
inextricable significance, affecting and affected by society.
 The vision of the Ann Arbor DJ Music Colloquium is to facilitate
an enhanced understanding of the reciprocal relationship between society
and music. It is also a key objective of the Colloquium to analyze this
relationship as an international phenomenon, examining the possibility
of
an international society influencing and being influenced by DJ Music.
The ambitious project that is envisioned may be lofty, and the goals
that
it entails may be far-fetched. However, at times we must all make an
effort to accomplish something, to grow, to learn, and most importantly,
to have fun doing so. I sincerely hope that the nature of this event
will
foster a positive experience shared by many - an experience that
cultivates new understanding and new appreciation of this music we
know and love as DJ Music.
FORMAT:
The Colloquium will be split into two parts: A DJ panel discussion, and
presentation of different styles of DJ music. These sections will all be
informal and informative, focusing on the academic and educational
values
of music as a sociocultural phenomenon, and also as a part of human
nature in general.

DJ PANEL:
The DJ panel will consist of a diverse representation of DJs from
various
styles including hip hop, techno, house, and drum n' bass. The DJs will
be making brief presentations on their art, and focus on the
similarities
and differences between their music. The floor will then be opened up to
questions from the mediator (note: topics will be determined by the
feedback from the Speaker's Proposal section), and then finally
questions
from the audience. This seminar will be aimed to include all University
students, faculty and staff, regardless of their level of previous
knowledge about DJ music.

DJ MUSIC PRESENTATION: After discussing the origin and evolution of
DJ music and going over the distinctions between different styles of
DJing and electronically produced music, we will have three of the DJs
perform
their music along with other featured performances to demonstrate the
discussed differences and to help expand the music vocabulary of the
attendees. It will be an opportunity for many to hear different styles
of
music for the first time and to give it an educated unbiased listening.
It will also provide those who may already have heard these styles to
enjoy
them in a safe community of their peers.

AGENDA:
6:00pm-7:30pm: DJ Panel Discussion
7:30pm-8:30pm: LTJ Bukem performs w/ MC Conrad
8:30pm-9:30pm: James Pennington performs
9:30pm-10:00pm: Kurtis Blow performs
10:00pm-11:30pm: Grandmaster Flash performs

 Educational Objectives of the Ann Arbor DJ Music Colloquium:

1. The event will provide new students with an opportunity to adjust to
new campus lifestyle, identifying the University as a provider of social
activities and allowing them to find a comfortable social niche at the
University.

2. Students will fully recognize the University's role in providing
students with wholesome and fun activities while maintaining a healthy
(alcohol and drug free) environment.

3. Students of different racial and cultural backgrounds will attend and
enjoy the event, thus promoting self-confidence and positive social
interaction among the diverse student community.

4. The event will focus on the aspects of music that pertain to culture
and society, thus making it an academically engaging experience for
students.

5. The event will be a great way to showcase the League as a Student
Union, a place where students can hang out, eat, get more involved in
extra-curricular activities, study and more.
Thank you for your time! We hope to see you this Fall at the
Colloquium!!