Wow! 40+ responses. That made my day.
To any artists out there, I don't mean
disrespect, only stating my personal ideas
about my favorite records. Don't mean to offend.
I’m on the clock, here are my defenses:

Re: Herbie Hancock, Bob Marley, Parliament, etc.

Jazz, reggae, soul. This is a specifically electronic list. Great artists, but
in totally different genres.
And, BTW, I think King Tubby has a lot more in
common with modern electronics then Bob Marley,
and not to start yet another debate, but I have gotten
more from Yabby You’s 2CD retrospective than
every other reggae/dub record I’ve heard in my life
put together (Congos, Burning Spear, Horace Andy, etc.)
That might be my favorite record.

Re: Juan Atkins

I love Juan Atkins. I don’t want to seem like I’m disrespecting
Juan Atkins, and I’m probably the only person in the 313
world who thinks this, but I never cared for his music.
He was a great influence on people to _MAKE_ electronic
music: I don’t think he, musically, had any influence on
Derrick May, who is the man all techno producers probably
concede started their careers. Derrick might not agree with
me, but I hear no trace of Juan Atkins on “Strings of Life”
or anything thereafter: Derrick was just so far ahead of the
game. For me, Atkins’ Model 500 material sounds like the
cover art to “Classics” looks. He doesn’t have (for me) the emotional
impact of his prominent predecessors (Kraftwerk, Giorgio
Moroder, even Yellow Magic Orchestra), contemporaries
(Afrika Bambaata), or “followers” (May, Craig, Banks, et al.)
And Juan’s best record, I think, is “The Infiniti Collection”, but when
you judge that record against what UR, Carl, Mark and Tom,
B12, the Orb, et al. I don’t think it is as strong. However,
if this were a top 100 list, both Infiniti CD’s would be on it, which
means Juan is still in the top 1% of producers, but I don’t
think any of his CD’s belong in my top 50. Juan has been a great
mentor, a great ambassador, and most other things for techno,
and deserves a great deal of admiration and praise for those
accomplishments, but I think his music is not on the level of
the artists I mentioned. Just my thoughts, I encourage everyone
who hasn’t heard Juan Atkins to buy his discs and make your
own assessment: if you haven’t heard him, you are missing out
on a very important piece in the techno puzzle, and I don’t mean
to question his historical importance nor the fact that he would/will
be pre-requisite listening in any Techno 101 class. As my music
teacher once said, “it doesn’t matter if _you_ like it.” So check Juan out.

Black Dog: Bytes

I used to love this album. I still think many of the hooks
are brilliant. However, I think every track on the album has
the same structure: open with a great hook, go into a
(to my ears) lukewarm middle section, end with the hook briefly
again. Listening to this album recently, all I can hear are those
middle sections, and it’s gotten to the point where I can’t even
listen to this anymore. Again, this is as important to be familiar
with as Juan Atkins’ material (Ken, Ed, Andy don’t be mad at me), but I
don’t think it stands the test of repeated listening. I could be wrong.
If you’re a DJ, you need this record, because the hooks work
phenomenally in sets. All other 313 fans will probably still need
to own this album. Me? I’m jaded. I don’t like this record anymore.

Claude Young: DJ Kicks, Mills picks, and the high % of DJ records

My feeling remains that techno is a DJ format, especially hard
techno and tracks that aren’t gifted with much more than a slightly
catchy hook. A good DJ can make a set out of mostly good, not stellar
tracks I’d never buy otherwise into something brilliant (in fact,
almost all the DJ albums I have do this.) In fact, DJ mix albums are
usually much more interesting because, let’s face it, techno is
repetetive, and if the groove isn’t insanely good, who wants 5:00 of it?
(KDJ is the only modern producer whose full tracks (his good ones, that is)
don’t seem long at 9:00, but in fact, not long enough (I listened to that Misled
12” like forty times the first day I got it.)) This is my problem, for example,
with most of the Mills CD’s. As a DJ, Jeff knows that concision (if that’s
not a word, it should be) is the key, and he displays this unbelievably well
on “Live at the Liquid Room, Tokyo” which is one of the greatest records
ever in techno (would make my top 5.) Most of the other DJ mix discs
do a similar thing. The reason I don’t include the other Mills discs is
because: 1) I think “Live at the Liquid Room, Tokyo” sums up his material
(and the rest of the hard techno scene) far better and 2) I think choosing
not to cut down the tracks to approx. 2:30 or less in length on all his other
discs
hurts home listening. As for Claude’s (isn’t it “1100”) “DJF 1100”
I saw a tracklisting on Sony’s site, it looks pretty good, I’ll try to get a
hold
of it. I still think his “DJ Kicks” volume will likely belong on the list, that
is a great disc, although 20 tracks is a bit few in my estimation (I think
31 on “DJF 1100” seems like a much better number.)

Richie Hawtin:

I think I may have bought every Richie Hawtin CD over the years, and
I never understood why people liked his music. People have tried to
explain it to me, and I just don’t get it. I’ll keep buying and trying, and
maybe this is just how everyone has a good artist they just don’t care
for for whatever reason, but I never cared for Hawtin’s material.
People of Earth: according to seemingly everyone else, I am wrong.
Buy Richie’s albums. Make your own assessments. Same with everyone
else I didn’t include who is well respected. There’s a reason they’re
respected, and listening to their music is the key to making your own mind up.

Photek:

If there was a CD that compiled the six 12”s on the Photek label,
it would be on here. My feelings on the “Form & Function” release
are basically the same as John Bush’s insightful review of this on allmusic.
As for other drum  ‘n’ bass, the one disc I keep thinking I might include
is Ed Rush & Nico’s No U-Turn retrospective. That’s some cool stuff.

UR: Revolution For Change:

I think a couple people who I have ever talked to about
this CD has said something to the effect that 50% of the tracks
simply aren’t as powerful as the rest. I think that’s true, but I think tracks
like
“Riot”, “Punisher”, “Sonic Destroyer”, “Eye of the Storm” and “Code
of Honor” make this disc absolutely essential: those tracks are
as important as “Strings of Life”, “Kao-Tic Harmony”, “Icon”,
the Carl Craig mid-period material, etc. etc. I’d really like to see a
UR 2CD retrospective with their best 20 or so tracks though

And yes, techno is a 12” format. If I had to list the best 12”s, that
would take a lot longer, and feature a lot of records a lot of people
out there will probably never find or hear.

On that note of “never hearing these records”, is there anyone on planet Earth
who is
willing to sell me KDJ1, KDJ2, or KDJ9? For crying out loud, I
found the “Twoism” 12”, all the BDP EP’s, all the B12, Likemind,
A.R.T., “Mbuki Mvuki”, etc. years ago and I have never, ever seen
those three EP’s anywhere. Please, someone help me.

I’m sure I forgot a couple responses. Oh well.
Thanks everyone for starting a discussion!

Matt
np: Global Communication - 12:18
(this track is so good.)