on 9/19/00 4:14 AM, rob webb at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> can someone please (Tom C? Ian?) give me some recommendations of where to
> start?  praps half a dozen lp's i *need* to find?

I've tried not to recommend "best of" compilations, although none of them
would be bad.  There are a ton of funk compilations out now, too, and most
are worth it.  I've stuck with the tried and true names here.  I'll leave it
for others to pull out the rare 12" funk slabs...

70s must haves include:

Herbie Hancock:  Headhunters
http://allmusic.com/cg/x.dll?p=amg&sql=A140166

Parliament:  Mothership Connection
http://allmusic.com/cg/x.dll?p=amg&sql=A14885

Sly and the Family Stone:  Fresh
http://allmusic.com/cg/x.dll?p=amg&sql=A18265

War:  All Day Music
http://allmusic.com/cg/x.dll?p=amg&sql=A21472

Stevie Wonder:  Innervisions
http://allmusic.com/cg/x.dll?p=amg&sql=A22215

Ohio Players:  Gold
http://allmusic.com/cg/x.dll?p=amg&sql=A14392

Early 80s:

Herbie Hancock:  Future Shock
http://allmusic.com/cg/x.dll?p=amg&sql=A152867

Cameo:  She's Strange
http://allmusic.com/cg/x.dll?p=amg&sql=A3192

Prince:  Dirty Mind
http://allmusic.com/cg/x.dll?p=amg&sql=A15800

Zapp:
http://allmusic.com/cg/x.dll?p=amg&sql=A22579

Gap Band:  Gap Band III
http://allmusic.com/cg/x.dll?p=amg&sql=A7999

That should give any funk-starved mind enough blowing.  ;^)
--
There4IM