Thanx to all for helping me fill in the gaps with Mark Ambrose. He is coming
out with Hardware Corp for dates in Sydney and Melbourne this fortnight, so
I was able to talk to him. Here, then, is some info direct from the source.
Mark has new records out through Canada's Free Funk and Chicago's Euphoria
labels and he is working with San Francisco's Primal Records. He now runs
two labels, Crayon and the off-shoot Lifeforms. Just one release has come
out through Lifeforms so far and he has put the label on hold for now as he
is too busy DJing and looking after Crayon. Lifeforms was conceived for
"deeper and darker" material to that of Crayon. He admitted that the
comparison to Red Planet in Musik magazine perplexed and pleased him in
equal measures - though his favourite Detroit artists/labels are UR and Red
Planet. As a DJ, he says he spins music firmly on the tech-house tip - from
Red Planet type sounds through to funky house in the Derrick Carter vein. He
is toying with the idea of doing a mix-CD with all Crayon releases as so far
nothing of his has come out on CD. That's about it.