From: darw_n [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2000 1:39 PM
To: Gwendal Cobert; 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: [313] Surgeon & tone-shifting

Toneshifting (one word, for aesthetic reasons) is not a "style", it is a
result...

But generally, it only occurs with highly repetitive techno for anything
complex or melodic becomes an oppressive agent...

Simply put (I have to get to class), toneshifting is when the listener
projects his/her own melody onto the repetition, rather then the music
project out to the listener.  The track, as simple as can be is merely a
vehicle for whatever is in the listeners head, a compromise between the
artist and the listener, a truly interactive music (and I contend a relative
first in modern popular music)...

The reason for the term "toneshift" is that the general trend amongst
listeners is to change a monotonous single repeating tone or rhythm into a
major/minor note shift, usually occurring in 2 bar patterns...

sorry about the laymen's music terms...

darw_n

"create, demonstrate, toneshift..."
http://www.mp3.com/darw_n