I saw juan atkins do something close to that too...he would take the records
out of the sleeves and play them and then toss them on the floor in a
pile...2 piles actually.  one for the sleeves and one for the vinyl...i wish
i had all those records so that i didn't have to take care of my either...it
could have been because he was really stoned...
jeff