Van: Fred Heutte [mailto:ph...@sunlightdata.com]
Verzonden: maandag 16 februari 2009 3:51
Aan: 313@hyperreal.org
Onderwerp: Re: (313) Fwd: new release: Bill Van Loo - Ypsilanti By Night

And check this out, very cool -- Bill demonstrating one of the
techniques
he uses to create these tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzwhTltRQcM

Also, now that we're into the realm of dub, I want to give an
unreserved,
total shout out for the book below.  Michael Veal is an excellent
writer and researcher and brings to light wonderful stories and details
on the history of dub and its cultural context in Jamaica, and cuts
through a lot of the mythification about the whole matter.  Absolutely
essential.

-- fh

-------------------

Dub: Soundscapes and Shattered Songs in Jamaican Reggae
by Michael Veal
Wesleyan University Press, 2007

Synopsis:

When Jamaican recording engineers Osbourne "King Tubby" Ruddock, Errol
Thompson, and Lee "Scratch" Perry began crafting "dub" music in the
early 1970s, they were initiating a musical revolution that continues to
have worldwide influence. Dub is a sub-genre of Jamaican reggae that
flourished during reggae's "golden age" of the late 1960s through the
early 1980s. Dub involves remixing existing recordings--electronically
improvising sound effects and altering vocal tracks--to create its
unique sound. Just as hip-hop turned phonograph turntables into musical
instruments, dub turned the mixing and sound processing technologies of
the recording studio into instruments of composition and real-time
improvisation. In addition to chronicling dub's development and offering
the first thorough analysis of the music itself, author Michael Veal
examines dub's social significance in Jamaican culture. He further
explores the "dub revolution" that has crossed musical and cultural
boundaries for over thirty years, influencing a wide variety of musical
genres around the globe.

http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9780819565723-0

>I'm forwarding this because Bill is too polite to self-promote on 313
>apparentl.. It's most definitely something of interest to 313'ers...
>
>I got it and what I've heard so far is a completely different take on
>the idea of Dub Techno... more kind of maximallist, balancing flurries
>of notes with an underlying tranquility...

Woningcorporatie Woonconcept zorgt voor veilige woonruimte van goede kwaliteit
voor mensen, die daar zelfstandig niet in kunnen voorzien. En wij doen meer dan
bouwen, zorgvuldig beheren en verhuren. We zetten ons in voor de leefbaarheid
in de breedste zin van het woord.