Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:43:53 GMT
To: 313@hyperreal.org
From: "rob webb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [313] Jaguar in UK charts

then Tom wrote:

>I agree, it is possible (albeit very rare), and that's what I thought would
>happen with Jaguar. It's had considerable airplay on Radio 1 here - the UKs
>only national FM pop station - but it seems that wasn't enough.

i wouldn't want to be accused of selling my countrymen short, but perhaps
Jaguar is simply not an *obvious* enough track for mainstream UK tastes.
similarly with Sandwiches.  both are great tracks, both had some support
from Pete Tong et al, but at the end of the day that doesn't mean either
will sell to your average British 'likes a few tunes' punter.  i mean, can
you really see people picking up a copy of Jaguar along with Alice Deejay or
Darude's latest effort?

mebbe Jaguar and Sandwiches are too raw, too funky, too real.  we don't
understand.  does not compute.  they're not, ugh, shiny enough.

something else to consider is MTV's influence on the British music
industry/economy.  radio obviously plays a role in raising the profile of a
record, but imho heavy rotation of the video would surely make a serious
difference to Jaguar's sales and thus chart position.

rob