On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 4:43 AM, Williams, Graham <gwilli...@eds.com> wrote:
> The way I see it is, when you just use Abelton and a midi controller,
> it's not really live. It's just pressing play and tweaking a few knobs.

That's overly arbitrary and quite unfair. There are many ways to use Ableton.

As far as I know, most people use Ableton in a live situation in "Clip
Mode", where each "clip" is a separate percussion loop, synth part,
etc. Starting and stopping the clips is really no different than
starting and stopping tracks on an MMT-8. You push a button or turn a
knob on a controller instead of pushing one of the track buttons on an
MMT-8 in order to "arrange" a track on-the-fly.

Yes, you can just push play in Ableton and tweak a few knobs. But
that's nothing new. You could load entire song sequences into an
MMT-8, or any other sequencer, and push play and tweak a few knobs as
well. There's really no reason to accuse Ableton of allowing some sort
of cheating/simple performance that wasn't possible before. Anybody
who wants to perform a canned set has been able to perform a canned
set for a couple decades now.

The truth is that Ableton is a great performance tool with many more
possibilities than any old hardware sequencer + sampler combo. I think
what you guys are criticizing is endemic to laptop performances in
general and not Ableton per se. Yes laptops homogenize performances,
and don't provide much in the way of appreciable performance for most
audiences, what's going on back there is usually a mystery. The easy
availability of Ableton, to anybody and their mom who wants to do a
"liveset", perhaps makes it seem like anybody can do it. Personally I
think using an MMT-8 was easier (the instructions are in the lid FFS!)
and provided considerable oppurtunity to "cheat" as well, that's
sequenced music for ya.