The weather is pretty good although a little humid during the day.  Decent crowd
so the economy doesn't seem to be a big hit of attendance.

Paxahau keeps increasing the stage budgets and so the stages are getting
bigger and bigger, to the point of being bloated.  I mean, this is not a good
thing.
The underground (Real Detroit) stage is a disaster.  They built a huge elevated
square platform in the middle of the floor and constructed an elevated walkway
from the side so the DJs and techs can get to the platform.  Stacks of bass
bins all the way around on the floor under the platform, highs hung from above.

Well, it might have been a good idea outside, but it takes up way too much
space and makes it sound like you're inside a garbage compactor.  The mids
are blasting and everything else is slapping back against the walls, floors
and ceiling just like always except moreso.  Huckaby said afterwards it was
horrible playing in there, I think he cut his set short.

The problem is all my friends and favorites are scheduled for the underground,
the 430 West showcase today (with my longtime running buddies Monty Luke
and Will Web kicking off), and all the locals tomorrow including Craig
Gonzalez, Seoul vs. Linder, Buzz, Audion.  It's OK to change things around
and try new stuff but --- What Were They Thinking!

The waterfront (Red Bull) stage is now gigantic and faces toward the steps,
taking up more than half the relatively small plaza space.  It has a full size
canopy over the top which is nice for keeping out of the sun but I can't
even imagine what the budget is.  The sound and sightlines are good but
again it is way overkill, especially for the live performances which could
benefit from a bit more intimacy with the audience.  It would have been a
lot better to put the housey stuff on the waterfront and the live stuff at the
still-unused ampitheater and stop using the garage for good.

As for the schedule yesterday, I give the day's three stars to Kate Simko
for a well constructed and grooving set.  Lusine who preceded her on the
waterfront was pretty interesting -- he's from the Ghostly stable and lives in
Seattle from what I understand. Mieka du Franx and Drumcell did
some nice stuff on the main stage during the day.  Adam Beyer was (sorry
to stay) boring and Marco Carola was pretty good, from the bit I heard.
Kevin Reynolds had a disjointed but at times intriguing set with Maliik
Alston goofing around on vocals and a really good trumpet player.  If
Kevin hadn't genre-hopped quite so aggressively it could have been a
lot better, but give them credit for trying something a little offbeat.  Carl
Cox played three hours of what you'd expect, well crafted ravey anthems.
I kind of liked it early on (Positive Education, The Bells, etc.) but it got
samey after 10 so I drifted away.

Attendance at the Friday afterparties seemed way down.  Last night,
everyone tells me Tortured Soul just killed it, but I was at 1515 Broadway
where Chez Damier took a great ride through mid-1980s disco house,
followed by Kai Alce.  And the crowd spilled happily outside onto the
sidewalk and it was a real Detroit party until almost 5 am.  So I count
the day as a success :)

Hung out with Kent, Dave Walker and Carlos Souffront quite a bit.
Still in seach of Otto, Sines and all you other muvva f#kk@@$!

I counted 25 afterparties on the Dluv list today, if that's a record it's
darn close.  So attendance is going to be spread out and premium
party atmosphere will be hard to find, but I know you will all be there
when Jeff Mills goes on...

fh