And proud of it...

"The assembly-line character of the culture industry, the synthetic,
planned method of turning out its products (factory-like not only in
the studio but, more or less, in the compilation of cheap biographies,
pseudo-documentary novels, and hit songs) is very suited to
advertising: the important individual points, by becoming detachable,
interchangeable, and even technically alienated from any connected
meaning, lend themselves to ends external to the work. The effect, the
trick, the isolated repeatable device, have always been used to
exhibit goods for advertising purposes, and today every monster
close-up of a star is an advertisement for her name, and every hit
song a plug for its tune. Advertising and the culture industry merge
technically as well as economically. In both cases the same thing can
be seen in innumerable places, and the mechanical repetition of the
same culture product has come to be the same as that of the propaganda
slogan. In both cases the insistent demand for effectiveness makes
technology into psycho-technology, into a procedure for manipulating
men. In both cases the standards are the striking yet familiar, the
easy yet catchy, the skilful yet simple; the object is to overpower
the customer, who is conceived as absent-minded or resistant. " Adorno
and Horkheimer, The Culture Industry

~DP