Last week, while I was pushing up Z's and gathering energy to rub elbows in Sausalito (across the Golden Gate Bridge from SF, for those out of town) with a bunch of DIY audio circuitry geeks/gurus, budding KFJC personality C. H. Skewer filled in for yours truly on the Wild Kingdom. His version can be viewed at http://www.kfjc.org/music/playlist.php?i=33849 .

OK, last Tuesday the 20th marked the 50th anniversary of operation for KFJC. To celebrate that, I'll be doing my own sort of retrospective, presenting some of the music I've encountered from 1994 through 1999. After having gotten an introduction to techno/ambient in 1993, (celebrated in the week before last's set), I took the bit between my teeth in 1994 and did a four-part ambient special (the beatless nazis would call it techno-lite, but what the hey...). Fools rush in, I was lucky, etc., but I managed to score interviews/on-air appearances from folks like Alex Paterson, Mixmaster Morris (who in his characteristic style, straightened me out on a few points and sent me some playlists for my edification), Jonah Sharp, Mike Barnett of Birmingham's Beyond Records, Greg Scanavino/Young American Primitive, the Hardkiss posse, and others. Thanks go out to Alex Windsor for essential introductions and some records, Clair Pritty of Paw Productions in the U. K. for the Alex Paterson interview (she got a bouquet from across the waters for her efforts, and she earned it), Jonah Sharp and Gamal from Reflective Records for their attention.and indulgence, San Francisco's Hardkiss posse (especially Niven), Amy from Rising High who supported me with both information and a fistful of CDs, and Mike Barnett from Birmingham's Beyond Records, for a splendid interview. There are others who deserve kudos for their support, but that was 15 years ago, and my memory ain't what it was. All this support culminated in a 4-part ambient radio special in May of 1994. This week's Wild Kingdom will skim the surface of some of the music presented during that series of features. The set will be a little heavy on the warm West Coast sound of the period, but that's the locale where I live, after all - sue me....

Next week's set will celebrate 1995 - the year of Detroit.

KFJC is in the midst of their annual fundraiser. If the spirit moves you, give us a hand.

If you miss a show, or want to sample other aspects of KFJC, limited time archives for KFJC programming are available at http://www.kfjc.org/broadcast_archives/ . Send comments and suggestions to i...@kfjc.org .

"The Wild Kingdom" airs on KFJC-FM 89.7, Saturday night/Sunday Morning, 12A-3A (8A-10A GMT). Potential listeners outside the San Francisco Bay area can find a webcast at http://www.kfjc.org/netcast/index.php . Present and past Wild Kingdom playlists are also archived at kfjc.org. You can also check out archived playlists from my first KFJC show "Just Desserts" that was on Fridays 10P-2A from 1992 through 1999. Archived playlists exist for that show starting from Fall 1995 to New Year's Eve 1999/2000, so you can see what what I'm up to these days is pretty much consistent with what I was up to all along.

If you do tune in (especially via the web), please take a little time to let me know your locale. I'm also interested in promo music from all over and in promoting local (San Francisco Bay area) techno-type events. If you want to do some promotion for an event, contact the KFJC promotions department at pr...@kfjc.org to arrange ticket giveaways and/or to send information for inclusion in our concert outlook. Thanks to those who have sent promo music so far.

Regards,

Richard Hester
"Mr. Goodwrench"
"The Wild Kingdom"