The topic is good, but if you want anything other than hipster
brooklyn rock, head to brooklyn.  First go to halcyon near the
manhattan bridge, and then dope jams on myrtle.  Both are quite
different, and halcyon is much older and bigger.  Both have quite
diverse, and often detroit centric music and miscellany.