If Paxahau has finally done something to address the truly awful acoustics of the underground stage then I'll be impressed, but I don't have high hopes that that space will sound any less horrendous than it has every time I've gone down there.

The fact that "Detroit techno has always been underground" does not justify knowingly and repeatedly putting DJs in a space in which everything sounds murky. If the goal is to feature the music, then it is important that the acoustics aren't a major obstacle to actually being able to hear the music with reasonable clarity.

Warehouse parties are makeshift and grab bag by default. You don't walk in the door and expect the room to have acoustically engineered for crystal-clear sound. The underground stage is like being in a warehouse, except that DEMF is a planned festival with corporate sponsorship, so it is reasonable to expect better sound quality especially when the underground stage is a known sore point and has been for years.

Why couldn't they use that amphitheater-style area near the waterfront stage, or set up a large tent somewhere else?

{}0+>|