This is absolutely heartbreaking news, I've been offline for a few days and can't quite believe what I am reading. It's so tragic that this illness could develop and take him so quickly. I suppose the one silver lining to such a dark cloud is that he didn't have to suffer months of painful tests, treatments and uncertainty.

I've always loved Aaron-Carls music, fromt the first Metroplex release that turned me on to him through to the excellent Warmth compilation earlier this year. His sound and his voice were so unique and such a breath of fresh air, and everything he did had a pure vivacity about it. 'Hateful' in particular has never been far from the front of my collection since i bought it. The couple of times I spoke to him he was extremely friendly and funny, and of course the time I saw him play in Detroit he was superb. I regret only seeing him play that once, and I had been very excited about his planned gigs in London and Vienna later this month. So sad that it won't be now.

Rest in peace.

On 01/10/10 19:05, ja...@iridite.com wrote:
Sigh - his performances here in Glasgow were legendary - he was a true
character with a unique spark of life about him.

sadly missed but leaving great memories

Jason

On 1 October 2010 15:50, Joel Gajewski<lupikitty0...@sbcglobal.net>  wrote:
A terrible loss, indeed.

----- Original Message ----
From: kent williams<chaircrus...@gmail.com>
To: list 313<313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Thu, September 30, 2010 8:16:57 AM
Subject: (313) Aarron Carl has passed

Those of you up early in the US who checked Facebook or Twitter
already know this, but Aaron Carl Ragland died overnight, having just
started chemotherapy for a just-diagnosed cancer.  This is a terrible
loss for Aaron's family, Detroit, and the world.

I didn't know the man well, other than a couple of long conversations
earlier this year on the phone.  I was impressed by his drive to make
things happen in Detroit, not just for himself, or for Detroit Dance
Music (though they were things he loved DEEP, second only to his
family and friends) but the next generations of kids.

Aaron was openly, flamboyantly gay man who came out at a time and
place where it was a lot easier to stay on the down low.  The Detroit
dance scene is a lot more open and accepting than the wider culture,
but it's a brave man who's willing to be honest with the whole world
the way AC was. Aaron presented himself transcended his sexuality, it
represented an openness and honesty that's an example for everyone.
Aaron was genuine, authentic, true, no bullsh*t.

And he was funny as hell too. Inexplicably, he was afraid of trees --
can you watch this and not laugh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJVdtEzUJII

The W.A.R.M.T.H. "Wallshaker" Compilation he put out last December was
a great example of what Aaron Carl could do -- bring people together
under a positive vibe.  That's what I'll be listening to today, and if
you don't yet have it, you can listen to the mix I made of it:

http://www.cornwarning.com/chaircrusher/Chaircrusher-WallshakerMix.mp3

AC I love you, and I hope you're slapping skin with Ron Hardy and
Arthur Russell and James Stinson about now, and they've got your crate
by the tables waiting for you.