There's been new interest in the Chicago 'footwork' phenomenon, which
is the new school form of Jit/Juke competetive dance.  The music is
pretty crazy stuff, growing out of booty house and ghetto tech but
seemingly endless rhythmic variation.  They've set up the new Planet
Mu footwork compilation for streaming if you want to check it out...

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/06/131792022/first-listen-bangs-and-works-vol-1-a-chicago-footwork-compilation

I've been fascinated by all the competetive street dance cultures
since people started breaking in the late 70s.  It's something that
springs up in different forms independently -- Caipohera in Brazil,
Breakdancing in NYC, Jit in Detroit, Juke in Chicago, even the
competetive Stepping that's so important to African-American
sororities and fraternities.

Even more fascinating, I can't think of any analogous dance culture
amongst white people.