cool pix too...!

------------

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/27/136655438/get-familiar-with-detroit-techno-10-essential-
songs?sc=fb&cc=fp

Get Familiar With Detroit Techno: 10 Essential Songs

Wills Glasspiegel and Marlon Bishop

May 27, 2011

Although widely associated with Europe, techno music was invented in
Detroit and its suburbs in the early 1980s by young African-Americans
armed with drum machines, futurist ideals and a predilection for
Kraftwerk. Artists like Juan Atkins, Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson
used whatever technology they could get their hands on to pioneer a
cutting-edge sound made up of growling synths and driving dance beats.
In the process, they set in motion one of the essential musical
movements of the 20th century.

The music eventually found its largest audience across the Atlantic,
but most of the original techno innovators still work out of the Motor
City. This Memorial Day weekend most will be in town for the annual
Movement Electronic Music Festival. You can hear the Movement
Electronic Music Festival live from Detroit streaming all weekend at
Resident Advisor.

In the list below originators, producers, DJs, label owners and
musicologists pick 10 tracks that define the Detroit techno sound.

Wills Glasspiegel and Marlon Bishop spoke to the musicians and writer
below in the course of reporting a story for All Things Considered and
producing a radio documentary on Detroit techno and Chicago house for
Afropop Worldwide.

The 10 Essential Tracks

Juan Atkins on "Cosmic Cars" by Cybotron (1982)

On "Cosmic Cars," I envisioned being in a car and driving on the
highway, and all of a sudden just taking off and going into space. My
music has always to a certain degree been about a certain escapist
attitude. Because there are times that you can be in a city like
Detroit and it can get really bad. You just want to fly away. Sometimes
you wish you could just sail off to another time and space. A lot of my
tracks allude to that kind of adventure.

JUAN ATKINS is often considered to be the father of techno. As a
teenager growing up in the Detroit suburb of Belleville, Atkins made
bold musical experiments with a Korg MS-10 synthesizer and a tape deck,
eventually releasing the genre's earliest tracks under the names
Cybotron and Model 500.

Mark Flash on "Alleys of Your Mind" by Cybotron (1981)

Oh, man. I heard it for the first time in my mom's basement, washing
clothes, and it came on the radio. And I was like, "Oh. My. God." I was
listening to The Electrifying Mojo. That track blew my mind. I turned
the washer off and went and just stood there because it felt so good I
couldn't even move. That was just the most awesome song I had ever
heard. I bought two copies when it first came out. I was like, "What is
this guy thinking?" What got me most was the sound, the beat — that was
the first time electronic music really got to me. I knew "Planet Rock"
already, but "Alleys Of Your Mind" was a different sound all together."

MARK FLASH is a Detroit percussionist, DJ and producer. As a kid, his
musician father moved their family from Brooklyn to Detroit to try to
make it in Motown. While his father's dreams failed, Flash made up for
it by becoming a name in the local rave scene.

Brendan Gillen on "Sharevari" by A Number of Names (1981)

The guys who did "Sharevari" told me an anecdote about going to a party
in 1980 in Detroit, a high-school party. It was one of these backyard
parties where somebody was lucky enough to have a pool. They tried to
make the parties seem elite, so they had elite names like "Gables,"
which was complete with a Clark Gables logo. They even wore satin
jackets. There were a bunch of groups and Charivari was the name of one
these groups, and that's where the band got the name of this tune. So
the story goes that they went to this party and the DJ was doing the
trick of playing with two copies of the same record at once. The DJ was
doing it with the Italo Disco record, "Holly Dolly" by Kano [the group
sampled by Tag Team on "Whoomp There It Is"]. The DJ would play these
records and instead of "Holly, Dolly," it would go "Holly, Holly,
Dolly, Dolly." That's how they got to "Share, Vari, Share Share, Vari
Vari." That's them imitating what the DJ did. Most people say this is
the first record of Detroit techno.

BRENDAN GILLEN fell in love with Detroit techno while attending college
in nearby Ann Arbor. Today, he's one half of the experimental techno
group Ectomorph, manager of the record label Interdimensional
Transmissions and a walking encyclopedia of Detroit techno trivia.

Carl Craig on "No UFOs" by Model 500 (1985)

We had a lot of great music that was on the radio. It was easy as a kid
to hear the newest music from Detroit because it was being supported on
the radio back then. When I first heard "No UFOs," which was Juan
Atkins' first independent record on Metroplex, it was being played at 5
o'clock drive time on weekdays. It wasn't just at nighttime or midday.
It was drive time, so it really gave me the opportunity to hear this
music as being more than just club music.

CARL CRAIG is the superstar of Detroit techno's second generation,
which came up in the '90s. This year he celebrates the 20th anniversary
of his record label, Planet E. He's also a co-creator of the original
Detroit Electronic Music Festival.

Cornelius Harris on "Strings of Life" by Rhythim Is Rhythim (1987)

Derrick May [who sometimes produces as Rhythim Is Rhythim] comes up
with "Strings of Life" and, you know, it's not called "Strings of
Death." It's all about this great future that we're a part of; it's
about looking for something else. We're trying to find a place where we
can do what we want to do and not be tied into other crap. I think that
that's what gets missed — the fact that techno actually served to be a
very inspiring aspect of Detroit life, for the whole region actually. I
heard it from the radio as a kid, and on television there was a dance
show that used to come on called The Scene. That was where a lot of
folks heard techno who weren't in Detroit proper or, like me, who were
too young to be able to go to the parties.

CORNELIUS HARRIS is label manager at Submerge and Underground
Resistance (UR), a hub for fiercely independent techno run out of a
bustling compound in East Detroit. Harris was an activist at the
University of Michigan and was impressed by the marriage of politics
and dance music put forth by UR founder "Mad" Mike Banks.

Anthony "Shake" Shakir on "Goodbye Kiss" by Eddie Fowlkes (1986)

It was one of them great party records. Eddie and Juan worked together
on it. It was the theme song of a bunch of the fraternities. It would
come on and people would rush the floor. It was one of them records
that you could play in the neighborhood and nobody would come over and
say, "Turn that crazy music off." There's something real black about
it. ... Black people didn't look at it like it was "weirdo white
music," because a lot of times techno in Detroit is looked a as weird
white s---. Fowlkes' record is one of those records that bubbled up out
of the street. It worked in the hood.

ANTHONY "SHAKE" SHAKIR is an old-school Detroit producer who also uses
the names Sequence 10 and Da Sampla. He appeared on the original techno
compilation, Techno: The New Dance Sound of Detroit, released in the
U.K. in 1988.

John Collins on "Big Fun" by Inner City (Kevin Saunderson) (1988)

When I first heard "Big Fun" it just blew me away. I met Kevin
Saunderson at the club, Cheeks. A group had rented out the club that
night. I got there and there was this guy in my booth, and I was like,
"Why are you in my booth?" He was like, "I'm Kevin Saunderson." I
didn't really know him, and he said, "I want to give you a copy of my
record." It was "Big Fun." That was it for me, in terms of techno. It
was a techno record that went pop. It just had everything that a record
needed.

JOHN COLLINS will be performing at this year's Movement Electronic
Music Festival in Detroit. He's been DJing techno music in the city
since the mid '80s, and his tracks are released by the seminal local
label Underground Resistance.

Brian Gillespie on "Elements" by Psyche (1989)

Carl Craig made a really good record under the name Psyche. If you were
a Detroit ghetto guy, a hood DJ, you would take that record and flip
that record, playing it at 45 [RPM] and bring it down minus 8. That
record had a certain groove to it. When you pitched it up faster, it
became a dope jit/footwork record. I remember Derrick May once came in
and was like, "Hey, what are you doing? You're playing that too fast.
That is not how the record is made." But see those 20 DJs in here? They
are buying your record off your label, and they are going to play it at
45. You should be thanking us because we broke records in Detroit. When
we listened to a record we listened to it two ways: 45 pitched down and
33 pitched up.

BRIAN GILLESPIE performs as DJ Starski, one half of the Detroit
ghettotech outfit, Starski and Clutch. Ghettotech is a fast, raunchy
music pioneered in Detroit in the mid '90s. Other names for it include
Detroit bass and booty bass. It mixes Chicago ghetto house with
electro, techno and hip-hop.

Jeff Mills on "The Theory" by Underground Resistance (feat. Mike Banks) (1991)

If I had to pick one Mike Banks track, it would probably be an older
track from his group, Underground Resistance — a track called "The
Theory." The chord structure is very elegant. I think that that track
really sums up a lot about Detroit and the people, and this idea about
the future and the consequences of always reaching further and further
and further.

JEFF MILLS is a first generation techno producer and DJ. He started
Underground Resistance with "Mad" Mike Banks and currently lives in
Paris and Chicago. Mills is famous in Detroit for his radio persona,
The Wizard. He continues to make techno today.

Denise Dalphond on "Dem Young Sconies" by Moodyman (Kenny Dixon Jr.) (1997)

On "Dem Young Sconies," Moodyman captures that really gritty sound.
Sometimes Detroit music is described as gritty and dirty — it's a
particular way of using drum machines. There's such an independent
aesthetic in Detroit and people didn't have money to buy a lot of
equipment. So you just use what you have. If you have a crappy Casio
keyboard, then that's what you play around with. If you just have a 4-
track tape recorder, then you figure out how to use it in a creative
way. And that's how Kenny Dixon (aka Moodyman) has always been to me.
He just uses what he has in a really experimental way.

DENISE DALPHOND is an ethnomusicologist and host of the Detroit music
blog, Schoolcraft Wax. Her blog combines written features on local
events in Detroit with interviews and academic work in the Detroit
techno scene.