The radio station where I DJ, KFJC-FM in the San Francisco Bay area, has a tradition (since 1983) of setting aside the month of May for radio specials of all sorts, from silly stuff ( I did a special once on songs about meat, for example) to serious expositions on artists and labels. Check out what's happening next month at http://kfjc.org/mayhem/ .

I've planning to host a couple of special features during my usual radio show time slot Friday May 4 and May 11 10P-2A, PDST. The first is a 2-part retrospective on Dan Curtin on May 4 and 11 called "Planetary Sounds from Cleveland - The Music of Dan Curtin".. I had a nice interview with him last Friday night, and he graciously sent me a recent DJ set to play during the special. I've also been busy filling the vacancies in my "Curtinpile" - it'll be interesting.

The one I'm not so sure about is a 2-part special I was planning on the revived 100% Pure label. I can't seem to get beyond the person at the front desk there ( I don't even know if Dylan Hermelijn knows I'm doing this). I've forged ahead in the past and done several extensive radio specials despite the indifference of the labels/individuals in question, but I'm starting to get tired of spending a lot of my own money, time, and air time to promote a label that can't be bothered. I was thinking that if I didn't get a definitive answer soon, just to cancel that special and instead do a 2-part "Dutch Treat" radio special on Dutch music and labels in general, not a hard thing for me to do at all, since I've been following (and buying) Dutch electronic music of all sorts for the past 16 years - labels like Eevolute, Delsin., ESP, Lower East Side, Balihu, U-Trax, DJax, Phoq U, Shiver, Dance Arena, Rush Hour, Prime, Bunker, Hotmix, Reference, Psst!, Signum, See-Saw, and others. The Dutch scene is large enough so that there's always something of interest, but not so freakin' huge that you can't keep up with a good part of it .

Anyway, I'd post this on the Lowlands list if it still existed, but, but what do you folks think? Forge ahead despite the indifference, or just do something else?

                            Goodwrench,
                            KFJC-FM